Monday, March 24, 2014

THE INFAMOUS COVER OF VOGUE.

Saturday I was talking to Amner about the latest cover of Vogue. Yeah, you know! that one that everybody is talking about with those two people on the cover, Yep that one!

I have been very critical of the choices the magazine has make in the last couple of years but I usually just laughed it out and if I don't agree with the cover I just don't buy the magazine. But this weekend was different I couldn't get the damn cover out of my mind, I keep thinking about my two girls idolizing a woman that became famous thanks to a sex tape and I cannot let that happen.

See my favorite thing to do growing up was hiding in my mom's closet wearing her red platforms, a pearl necklace and reading her Vogue magazines that was my very first taste of fashion. I would get lost for hours and their beautiful fashion editorials, that was way back then when Vogue meant class, elegance and style.

Now almost 20 years later, thanks to the culture we live in now, my Bella and Azul don't even have a chance to do such harmless childish things like I used to do.

After woman have fight so hard and for so long to have equal rights, and even though there is so many beautiful, intelligent woman doing awesome stuff for the environment, poverty, politics etc, we fail them and instead we glamorize trash like Miley Cirus, Lindsay Lohan, The Kardashians and all of the other ones. We are passing the wrong message to our daugthers.

See, my husband and I are working very hard in raising independent and why not world changing woman, we tell them how incredible smart and powerful they can be, we share our culture with them, I read books about how to talk to them, Amner has a great relationship with them, we show them positive and realistic role models and my favorite one with Bella as of this morning is how she doesn't have to wait to be "rescue" by the handsome prince, I told her "I believe in you and you should believe it too, that you can do anything, anything you want" 

But sometimes it doesn't matter how hard parents work when we live in a society that calls a couple like this an "Icon couple" they are not an icon they are one of the reasons why our world is so messed up. 

The country has no lasting respect for people like them because they haven't earned it, if what Vogue wanted to do was to put a couple that has impact our society they sure are a lot more deserving couples out there.

I do love fashion and I used to have tremendous admiration for Anna Wintour then this happen and for the life of me I can't understand how an editor of her stature could jeopardize the reputation of such a magazine by putting these two, they are not even fashion trendsetters, they are cheap and tasteless fashionwise, but then I remember that the reason why I love fashion is other and that before Wintour there was Diana Vreeland, the real reason why I love the magazine.

As of this last cover I would not be purchasing Vogue anymore if I did, it would be against what I believe in and the most important one is that I can't expose my beautiful girls to anymore trash, I love my family and as a mom is my duty to protect them, my girls have a beautiful mind and a beautiful inside and I will fight to keep it that way.

Laura.






No comments:

Post a Comment